What to Say When Someone Loses a Husband: 65 Messages
What to Say When Someone Loses a Husband: 65+ Messages
Cake values integrity and transparency. We follow a strict editorial process to provide you with the best content possible. We also may earn commission from purchases made through affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate, we earn from qualifying purchases. Learn more in our affiliate disclosure.
It’s hard to know what to say to someone who has had the worst day of their lives. You may hear yourself offering condolences to a friend who lost a husband, but the words may not feel powerful enough for the situation.
Jump ahead to these sections:
So what do you say to someone who recently lost a husband? How does the message change if you send it through text or social media instead of face-to-face? Here are some ideas to use for both scenarios. Some of these messages can even be adjusted to add to sympathy flowers or a post on an online memorial page. We’ll also give you some guidance on what to say if the husband suffered from a long illness.
Sympathy messages for loss of husband
No one can understand the pain of losing a loved one apart from the directly left person. Losing a husband means losing the person one had planned to spend life with. Sending hearty sympathy words for the loss of a husband is the best way to express sympathy.
- I am sorry for the loss of your spouse. May God give you the strength to overcome the grief.
- It is sad to learn about the untimely death of your better half. He was such an extraordinary being in your life. Be assured of my thoughts and prayers during this difficult time.
- Receive my heartfelt condolences for the loss of your lover. May God fill the void that he has left in your life.
- My sincere condolences to you, my friend, for the loss of your sweetheart. No one understands your pain, but God does.
- Your boyfriend was an amazing man and will for sure be missed by many. May God’s love surround you at this most difficult time.
- Please accept my condolences for the loss of your lovely boyfriend. But, stay strong and know that you are in my thoughts and prayers.
- My heartfelt sympathies for the loss of your man. He was one of a kind, and life without him will be hard for all of us. May you have the strength to endure a hard time.
- It is with profound shock I learn the passing on of your darling. He was one of a kind. Accept my sincere condolences and that of my family.
- May the love of God surround you at this challenging time. May He give you peace that is beyond understanding and enable you to go through this.
- It’s hard to comprehend that your man is no more. May he rest in peace, and may the Lord give you peace and acceptance that comes from Him only.
- My heartfelt sympathies for the loss of your husband. He was one of a kind, and life without him will be hard for all of us. May you have the strength to endure a hard time, and may you get the grace to encourage and stand with your children from now henceforth.
- It’s hard to comprehend that your husband has left us. May he rest in peace, and may the Lord give you peace and acceptance that comes from Him only. May your husband’s hard work and big heart give you the reason to move on.
- Your husband was an exceptional man in all he did. He left a mark and touched every heart he came across. His passing is a great loss to the community and more to you and your children. May he rest in peace as the Lord takes care of you.
Condolence letter for loss of husband
When a friend has lost her husband, it’s vital to stand with them by giving words of encouragement and offering them a shoulder to cry on. In addition, a sympathy note for the loss of a husband will come in handy in showing them that you are there for them even with the sudden loss of a husband.
- It is well with your soul! Please accept my deepest sympathies for the loss you have experienced. Find solace in God’s word that assures of His love even at such times.
- Your boyfriend was an exceptional man in all he did. His passing is a great loss to the community and more to you and your child. May he rest in peace as the Lord takes care of you.
- Learning the passing on of your boyfriend is the greatest shock of the day. I am genuinely sorry about it and know that we are together in everything. Be comforted, my friend.
- No one can understand what you are feeling now for the loss of your boyfriend. My thoughts and prayers are with you, and hoping you overcome. Sorry for the loss.
- No words can explain my shock at learning the demise of your boyfriend. Know that the Lord is with you and will enable you to overcome. It is well.
- I am very sorry for the loss of your boyfriend. In case you need my assistance, I’ll be available. May you find solace in God’s love.
- I hope you find peace during this difficult time. The death of your boyfriend has shocked all of us. It’s my hope and prayer that you will get the strength to accept and move on.
- Your boyfriend is in a better place, away from the pain he had. The Lord saw he was getting tired and decided to take him home. Let him rest in peace.
- I cannot take the pain of losing your boyfriend, and no one can. I pray that your pain and grief shall be taken care of by God. I am sorry for the loss.
- My dear friend, I am sorry for the loss of your boyfriend. I received the news with ultimate shock. May God embrace you with His love now and always!
- No one can understand what you are feeling now for the loss of your husband. Only God can take his position. May he rest in peace and be rest assured that my thoughts and prayers are with you. I am hoping that you will overcome. Sorry for the loss.
- I am very sorry for the loss of your husband. Unfortunately, I cannot give enough words of condolence to take away your sorrow, but in case you will need my assistance, I’ll be available. May you find solace in God’s love.
- Your husband is in a better place, away from the pain he had. The Lord saw he was getting tired and decided to take him home. He fought the good fight and has finished the race. Let him rest in peace.
Loss of Pet
- Compliment: “Benny was such a good dog. So sorry you’ve had to say goodbye to him.”
- You Loved Her Well: “From your first hello, to your last goodbye, Shadow felt how much you loved her. She was one lucky kitty to have you for her person.”
- Wish for Good Memories: “Wishing you smiles amid the tears as you remember happy times with your loyal companion and friend.”
- She’ll Always Be Part of You: “Trixie may be gone from your lap, but she’ll stay in your heart forever.”
- Miss Him Too: “I was so sorry to hear about Speck. I sure am going to miss seeing him when I’m out walking.”
- She Meant a Lot: “Our fur babies hold such an important place in our lives and our hearts. Thinking of you as you remember Gertie.”
- Share a Memory: “I’ll never forget walking into your kitchen and finding every single cabinet open and Fluff peeking out from a drawer. He was such a clever cat.”
- “Lucas era un perro tan bueno y cariñoso. Siento mucho que hayas tenido que decirle adiós.”
Pro Tip: If your recipient has had to make the hard decision to have their pet put to sleep, consider affirming them in that decision. Let them know you support their choice, that you know it wasn’t easy, that you share their sadness but are glad their friend isn’t hurting anymore.
- With sympathy,
- With deepest sympathy,
- With heartfelt sympathy,
- With prayers and sympathy,
- With sincere sympathy,
- With warm thoughts and prayers,
- With caring,
- With love at this sad time,
- In caring sympathy,
- With you in sorrow,
- Sharing your sadness,
- Thinking of you,
- Caring thoughts are with you,
- God bless,
- God bless you and comfort you,
- Keeping you in our prayers,
- Lifting you up in prayer,
- Praying for you,
- Wishing you peace,
- Wishing you healing,
- My heart goes out to you,
- Please accept our condolences,
- My sincere condolences,
- Con el más sentido pésame,
- “I know how you feel.” We all experience and process grief differently.
- “She was so young.” No need for a potentially painful reminder.
- “What a terrible loss.” Avoid dwelling on the pain or difficulty of the loss.
- “You should…” Instead of advice, offer comfort and support.
- “You will…” Steer clear of predictions about how their grief journey will go.
- “This happened for a reason.” Even with the best intentions behind it, this thought risks assigning blame for the death.
- “Sé cómo te sientes.” No es bueno asumir cómo se sienten las personas. Todos experimentamos el duelo de manera diferente.
Writing tip: If you’re still worried about saying the wrong thing, then keep your message very short. The simple act of sending the card lets your recipient know you care.